Welcome Message

Welcome fans of futbol! I'm an addict of the beautiful game and of the league where it's played best, Spain's La Liga BBVA. I hope you'll join me in discussion of this the King of Sports. If you enjoy the blog, please add a comment, vote in one of the polls at the bottom of the page or click on an ad to make me coffee money.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Auxerre 0 - Real Madrid 1, Quick Impressions

I have yet to get a chance to watch the all of Tuesday's Auxerre - Madrid game. What I did see, showed an interesting line-up change.

Mourinho, had Xabi Alonso playing as a single pivot or defensive midfielder while Khedira and Lass Diarra were pushed farther forward on the left and right respectively.

That's interesting because Mourinho usually prefers to play with 2 defensive midfielders. So far this year that's been Xabi Alonso and Khedira. Usually, they are accompanied by a media punta, or attacking midfielder in the Schneider mold - this year usually Ozil and occasionally Canales.

Given Khedira and Lass Diarra's defensive bent, I was curious to see how their connection to the front line was. The verdict: not awesome. Madrid was clearly winning the battle in the midfield in the first half but they were not creating a lot of clear scoring opportunities.

I saw that Ozil came in for Benzema in the second half. I hope to see how that worked out later tonight.

Who do you think Mourinho should line up in the midfield?

No comments:

Post a Comment