Welcome Message

Welcome fans of futbol! I'm an addict of the beautiful game and of the league where it's played best, Spain's La Liga BBVA. I hope you'll join me in discussion of this the King of Sports. If you enjoy the blog, please add a comment, vote in one of the polls at the bottom of the page or click on an ad to make me coffee money.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Murcia 0 - Real Madrid 0: Ghosts of Alcorcón

In case the 2010-2011 Copa del Rey lacked drama, Jose Mourinho decided to add more: he announced that Madrid was out to win the competition that had embarrassed them the past few years. He also announced if his starting lineup didn't have the motivation to play in the Copa del Rey, he'd replace them with players from Castilla (Madrid's development squad).

How did Mou's motivational tactics go over? Not very well. Los Merengues could only tie Murcia and didn't play the most brilliant football. Christiano Ronaldo started but couldn't break the game open as he has the past 3 league matches.

Is Madrid still haunted by the Alcorconazo, the humiliating defeat at the hands of a 3rd division (Segunda B) team from the suburbs of Madrid? You bet they are.

That 4-0 defeat, more than any other game, sentenced last year's coach Manuel Pellegrini. It was also probably the death knell for Guti.

I'll explore this a little more in coming days but before I do, here are some of the amazing scenes from last year's King's Cup shocker! I wish I could find the video that showed Alcorcón's warm-up-suit-wearing youth storming the field after the win - that was my favorite part.



No comments:

Post a Comment